Dear Dan,
Just curious, do you have a lot of house plants. Pseudomonas is a bacteria that
is always in soil and on many plant leaves. Often, it manages to survive anti
biotics that should have wiped it out. I had to take IV anti biotics and get
rid of all my living plants to end that bug. Whoever cleans around your
catheter needs to avoid plants, too. It is a very tough bacteria and will
travel and survive conditions it shouldn't be able to.
You really need to get rid of it even if it requires IV anti biotics because it
can cause sepsis if left untreated. You may very well have a stone, but the
doctor may not want to remove a stone while you have an infection. Stones can
form in very short time periods. Your bones are decalcifying like an astronaut.
Unfortunately, calcium leaves the body through the kidneys and you are at risk
of kidney and bladder stones.
I've had the opposite experience. I rarely get UTI's with an external catheter,
but I have not been catheterized since 1996.
Do you flush your bladder with sterile water between changing it? While I have
never tried it, maybe colloidal silver would be more effective if used with the
flush.
Now, my theory on backflow. The catheters do not have anti-backflow valves
where they connect to leg bag and bed bag lines that also lack anti backflow
valves. The anti-backflow valves are in the bags. There is nothing preventing
the lines to the bag from flowing back into you along with the bacteria that is
growing in it and if it was just cleaned with clorox, just how good is that
when it enters your bladder?
My solution is to attach a 500cc leg bag to the catheter when it is first put
in and attach your leg bag and bed bag lines. This puts an anti backflow valve
at the end of your catheter and you can see how much urine or cleaning solution
flows back from the lines when it is stopped in the 500cc bag. Lets face it, it
only takes a fraction of a drop to reinfect you.
Do not let people change your catheter that can't keep the job sterile. Exam
gloves are not acceptable and sterile gloves over a year old are just exam
gloves. You can call the manufacturer and find out when a batch was made and
shipped.
Yes, you build up resistance to anti biotics so it is important to avoid
infections. STOP SHAKING HANDS!

I  wish you all the best,
john