I remember was my first two wheelchairs (power wheelchairs of course) I used
acid, deep cell batteries.  I also remember a couple of occasions whereby
active not want to wait to go through a vendor so I went to a local place
called Battery World (in my area) to get them with no problem.
Now, I have had my Permobil 10 years and 2 months now with gel cell
batteries and have only had to have been replaced twice.  But here is a *first
(one of my batteries actually blew up on and out of the positive post
therefore completely disabling the other one)* Here is the story:

After coming home from Wal-Mart on Tuesday at around 5:30 pm, hubby & I sat
outside to enjoy the weather. I began to smell a very very very strong
sulfuric rotten egg smell but hubby [Dave] could not smell it although he
was only a couple of feet away from me. I thought it was from a vehicle or
something and the longer I just sat there are quickly dissipated.

Then, unexpectedly, a friend stopped about 10 minutes later and we came
inside. I was talking to her in the living room and, again, I could smell
that very strong sulfuric rotten egg smell but she could not smell it
either.  I was quite perplexed at this time since the smell was so very
strong and I was only a couple of feet away from two people who did not
smell it!

Finally, after going to the kitchen for dinner and smelling it again (Dave
could not) and then going to bed—Dave said it was coming from the chair.
Dave could finally smell it by then because he was transferring me directly
from the chair.  Also, the chair began to chug, chug along as if I was
running out of battery charge which could not be the case because I did not
run it all that much and it was fully charged.  We put it on charge after I
got in bed but in only 60 seconds it showed that it was fully charged.

The next morning (Wednesday) we called DEPENDABLE because they were the last
to change the batteries in the chair *6 years ago.*  We were so very
fortunate for two new men to be working there (Joe and Andy) and at first
they did not think it was the batteries but then decided it was. So they
immediately ordered gel cell batteries and they were supposed to come from
Phoenix and arrive on Friday.  I am only two hours away from Phoenix.

So I was looking at being in bed for an indefinite period of time if it was
more than the batteries alone.  This is because my hypersensitive body will
not allow me to sit in any other chair without having bad AD problems, etc.

On Friday when we called (today, later yesterday morning) — as usual someone
had not done their job and the batteries did not arrive. They are now coming
from California and are supposed to come in on Monday. &($...@! ers!
The guy who was working on my chair today was Andy  and was very very very
nice and very accommodating. He has been in the business for 20+ years and
said he has never seen batteries last 6 years (5 yrs -yes.  6 yrs - no) and
wondering how we were able to do that. LOL.  We told him there was no great
secret and that I had been running the chair for miles taking Brandy on MANY
MANY WALKS over the years and so on and so forth.  He also thought that the
chair itself was in very good condition for being 10 years old.

Anyway, thank God that he had some gel cell batteries that had been sitting
on the shelf that he put in the chair so that I could have them over the
weekend so I did not have to stay in bed until Monday (hopefully when the
new batteries arrive).  The batteries are huge and did not exactly "fit" my
chair but they WORK so that I was able to get out late yesterday afternoon
and be able to be up over the weekend.

I have been in bed since Tuesday evening and, without being able to move and
with it being more work for Dave to take care of all my needs when I am
stuck in bed, I am so thankful he had the extra batteries on hand that would
work with my chair.  Also, we found out that the guy (Andy) who just looked
at the chair and ordered my batteries for me, etc this week used to work for
another company (Apria) and had put my other batteries in 6 1/2 years ago!
He even recognized his writing on part of the old battery!  LOL

In sum, that is the downfall of gel cell batteries.  Can't just go pick them
up somewhere and install them yourself.  Especially with a Permobil power
chair like mine.

Lori