Dan,
The question on the bottom is do we get it? Yes and no. Not quite the facts and
not the same comparisons. (I am new to this list but thought maybe the
screenames of all the forwards should have been removed before posting and just
post the joke, and let us know it is a joke in the subject matter? I was
expecting it to be a comment on quadraplegia related issues.
I am a a quad and an advocate. I was advocating for the last four years for
someone who is an illegal immigrant Let me tell you his story.
He was from Brazil, and came to the US without a passport, as well as his wife.
A baby was born here, now a US citizen. They had insurance only under their
babies name. Otherwise, they qualified for "Free Care"  This is limited care
and does not provide things such as wheelchairs, or advanced medical care- only
what they call "life sustaining" treatment. The Free Care is a process of
application for those who qualify under Medicaid.
So he was playing with his son on a trampoline, fell and broke his neck,
severing C-5-6.Now where did he go? He was working doing walls and landscaping
for a living before this, both in his native country and now in the US. But now
as a quad, this line of work was out. So, he could not get social security
benefits. No income to pay for his food nor did he qualify for food stamps,
because he was not a legal US citizen. His brother and some family was taking
care of him in a very inaccessible staired home where he was living (owned by
another distant family member).  His wife was overwhelmed taking care of him,
and he had no powerchair. His son was not being taken care of, and his wife was
so depressed, she had trouble eating and taking care of herself. She divorced
him. The child was sent back to Brazil. The brother had a drinking problem. He
would carry his brother up and down the stairs or keep him (unclothed) in the
bed.
I helped him get a powerchair, through a most generous help of a public
charity. His brother however, had problems and started beating up on this
quad's wife. He was powerless to do anything about it. I got a call, and the
brother got arrested (had other violent problems) and shipped back to Brazil,
with the quad's little boy.
So, now, here he was pretty much alone, waiting for yet another sister to take
care of him. He was moved to another 1/2 sister's home. She left him in his
chair during the day. At least it was a great powerchair ,and he had
independence, tried to get food, etc. But he could not work legally because he
was not a legal US citizen. He was talking about going back to Brazil, but
feared his infections and care would be a lot worse there. So here he is,
stuck. I have been trying to get him services here, but they first go to needy
legal citizens, right or wrong, the bias is there.  Please , be careful what
you send...