A second battery can be used as back up for emergencies,  especially when
you are driving by yourself.

Best Wishes

In a message dated 11/29/2009 8:30:27 P.M. Central Standard Time,
whe...@cvn.net writes:

i have a ford e-150 van.  year 2000. with only 40,000 miles
would it hurt my electronics to put a larger alternator on?

I know a girl that has 2 vans for sale. an older and newer van.
she lives in Three Springs, PA
anybody looking for a van?

thanks to everbody who replied,
Derrick W

----- Original Message -----
From:  _John S._ (mailto:alcibiat...@yahoo.com)
To: _quad-l...@eskimo.com_ (mailto:quad-list@eskimo.com)
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2009 2:24  PM
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] van battery

Optima batteries are not gel batteries. They are AGM, or advanced glass
mat. They are maintenance free and vibration resistant. Gel batteries have
serious limitations and notoriously poor performance. Optima has a great
battery but it won't be much help if your system draw is 90 amps and your
alternator only puts out 60 amps. In this situation your battery must supply
the
needed amperage and is probably not getting a sufficient recharge.
If  you know a decent Chrysler mechanic/dealership you can have them check
to  see if your electrical system is able to handle the draw from your
accessories. If not, you may simply need a more powerful alternator. Many
standard alternators only put out 60 amps. It is not difficult to change to  a
110 or 120 amp unit that comes on trucks that power refrigeration units or
lighting systems.
Your problem could be as simple as a voltage regulator  malfunction.

Best wishes,
john