From: Steve Oldaker [mailto:steve.olda...@comcast.net]
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 2:15 PM
To: quad-list@eskimo.com
Subject: [QUAD-L] Anniversary and Thoughts on Walking, Cure, Etc.

Today marks my 23rd year as a member of the quad fraternity. Some days it
seems longer, other days much shorter. All in all, there have been plenty of
bumps along the road, but the journey has been and remains worth taking.

I remember clearly being advised by various sources while in rehab nearly 23
years ago that we were likely just 5-10 years away from a cure when I would
walk again, as though walking in and of itself defines a cure. Lo and behold
23 years later, in spite of a number of advances, the projection remains the
same. And while they are remarkable, noteworthy accomplishments, I don't
consider "walking" by means of electrical implants, exoskeletons or other
recent non-biochemical achievements any kind of real cure or even
substantially beneficial in their current state, though I suppose if someone
is highly invested (ie. physically, emotionally, financially, etc.) in
"walking" by any means, any form of walking may be considered substantial.

For whatever reason, I have not shared the overwhelming desire if not
obsession with walking that Christopher Reeve and some of my other SCI
friends and associates seem to have (or had in Reeve's case). As a C4 quad,
even paraplegia would be a remarkable improvement to me. There are a number
of incremental cures that I would prioritize over walking including
substantial pain reduction and full return of bladder, bowel, and sexual
function, to name a few.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to walk again, and I hope, pray, and
contribute financially regularly to cure research. And while I support cure
efforts as the ultimate goal, I do not subscribe to the notion of CURE not
care. I believe strongly that we need to work for both if we want to lead
long, healthy, productive lives in spite of our conditions.

Every morning when I wake up I try to move, and when I find once again that
I am unable to do so, I go about the business of living as good and as
productive of a life as I can. This has served me well these 23 years. It
allowed me to accomplish much post injury including obtaining computer
training shortly afterward, a 17 year career with the federal government,
and a comfortable early disability retirement a few years ago which frees me
up for more of my personal interests and community activities.

A cure would be wonderful and I don't think anyone should give up hope, but
I also think it is in one's best interest to live and move forward as best
they can given the likelihood that a cure is at best several years and most
likely many years away.

I am grateful for all of the assistance and support I have received from my
family, friends, coworkers, hired caregivers, and medical professionals over
the years. I hope to have many more good years like Glenn Henry, Arizona
Dave, and others who have shared their experiences, knowledge, and opinions
on this list. Cheers to all of you!

Steve - C4, 23 years