We do have the air filters and we bathe out dogs because they go outside, but
for me, the pets keep me from being isolated. There have been months when I was
unable to do anything, but stay in bed. The pets kept me company. My husband
has to work to pay the bills. We had pets before my injury and I wouldn't have
been able to give them up. The doctors also thought the pets helped me from
being lonely and isolated when my husband was at work. In the early years of my
SCI, he worked 60 to 80 hours in fast food (yes 80 hours). I never left the
house unless he was with me because I was not able to drive at the time. He
gave up decent salary a few years ago to take a job, for basically minimum
wage, so he could be at home more to take care of me. Now, he works 40 hours
and we watch our spending a lot. We still have out pets and they still keep me
company when my husband is gone. We don't have kids and we don't have any close
relatives living near us to help
 with me.

The pain meds are messing with my thinking. In the paragraph, I wrote "work"
instead of "drive". My brain isn't working.

Candle
"Scars remind of us where we’ve been, they don’t have to dictate where we are
going."
~David Rossi of Criminal Minds