25 years, a quarter of the century, almost one third of my life.  Where did
the time go from that moment when I fell off the scaffolding and tried to
move my arm and realized it did not respond?  That was the start of my new
life, and although it is not always a home run, it certainly is not a
strikeout either.

So many people who have helped me, encouraged me, devised a little something
that made my life better, cuddled me when I needed it, scolded me when I
needed it, and just simply told me to buckle down and get on with life.
Thanks to each and every one and you know who you are.  Family, friends,
therapists, doctors, and yes many strangers.

To every little kid (some of them not so little but just as curious) who
asked me why I was in a wheelchair, how did I drive my chair without my
hands or arms, who offered to help me, I say thank you and bless you that
you accepted me for the person I am, especially the young one who wanted to
race me and when I won told me to get out of my chair and he would drive it
and win!  I love you all.

I appreciate all of the strangers who are so helpful and kind and open doors
for me without my asking, offer to carry my packages out to my car, ask me
if I would like a drink from my cup on my wheelchair, or would I like
something to eat while I am waiting for someone at the food court to pick up
our orders.  I don't believe for a minute that the majority of people do not
want to help or look down upon me in the wheelchair.  Conversely, I love the
smiles, the how are you doings, and the people who say- isn't it a great day
to be outdoors or shopping or whatever.

To the very few and far between people who say or imply something such as "
my you really know how to use the wheelchair" I try to smile and reply " you
do really well on your feet also" and make them laugh.  They probably will
think twice the next time.

Being a total C4 quadriplegic was definitely not my game plan for my life,
but honestly things could have been worse and I am looking forward to what
the future holds.  I have already outlived by 10 years what they told me at
rehab in 1990, so hopefully the rest will be a piece of cake!  Thanks for
letting me celebrate 25 years.