MY caregiver puts it on before leaving. And/or put in on right before I brush them. I even have tooth paste lid barely on to were I can use my mouth to untwist lid & squirt ity in my mouth.

Yes, you will want the brush to shut off before removing from mouth. You can push button to shut it off or wait for it to shut off after running for 2 minutes. Mine shuts off after 2 minutes.
You will need to put toothbrush in your mouth before turning on.

derrick