<!--body{font-family:&#39;Arial&#39;;font-size:14pt;font-color:&#39;#000000&#39;;}LI{display:list-item;margin:0.00in;}p{display:block;margin:0.00in;}body{}-->

    Greg, I was diagnosed with HO when I was first injured 36 yrs ago. It
caused me to be lopsided and over the yrs made my other hip and leg to become
jacked up causing me major pain in the last few years.  Didn't know back then
that it could be helped with radiation.Meredith
Sent from my LG Mobile

------ Original message------From: greg Date: Thu, Apr 6, 2017 2:09 PMTo:
quad-list@eskimo.com;Subject:RE: Fwd: [QUAD-L] Getting Old
I was fine for 20+ years after my injury, no meds, pain was not great, but
could deal with it. But after a hip injury, I developed Heterotopic
Ossification (HO). When your  bones try and heal they start growing calcium,
but when you have HO, the calcium does not stop growing. It grows like tree
branches into your muscles. Have to take meds and use radiation to stop the
growing. They will only cut it out if it grows so much you loose range of
motion. Because it grows into the muscle, it's a very bloody surgery, and that
is a main cause to restart the growing. Without pain meds, my leg will not go
straight. Spasms are so bad, I grunt, almost pull myself out of my chair, and
the worst thing is my chest gets so heavy it's hard to breath. Like someone is
sitting on my chest. If I miss my meds, within hours my body is like 1 solid
muscle clinch. They almost OD me trying to raise Baclofen high enough to ease
my spasms. Many tests to find the cause. Finely took pain meds for my shoulder
and it was like life changing difference. Docs said no way would pain meds stop
spasms, I need more Baclofen. I went in and showed them, I'm not spasming. Then
finely they agreed it was pain causing the spasms. And they found the cause.
Everyone feels pain differently, has different causes. Both can have pain for
same issue, but one be in more pain. Not just let it get to them more. Just
can't quantify pain in different people. 5 quads can each have shoulder pain,
different causes, different location, different nerves. I would be hard pressed
to call a pain a 9 out of 10, because I can always think of something that
could hurt more. My shoulder makes me want to rock, but a hot needle in my eye
would be worse. Greg