Here is a letter I wrote a while back to a company that does stem cell therapy
and makes a lot of claims of false hope among the paralyzed. If anyone on the
list has a different opinion, I would LOVE to hear it!

*******************

Asterias scientists:

As the wife of a man with a C3 cervical spinal cord injury, I read your claims
of research with stem cells with a great amount of hope - until I learned that
these stem cells were administered within 30 days of injury. My husband didn't
move a thing for three months after his injury and then slowly started
recovering function from an incomplete injury thereafter. But because the level
of mobility experienced by a spinal cord injury patient is UNKNOWN and cannot
be predicted, how do you know that stem cells were responsible for the mobility
recovered? Many incomplete patients make a full recovery when SCI is severe,
while others recover little to no function (like my husband now 3 years post
injury) even though he only had one broken C3 vertebra that "tipped" into the
cord.

IF indeed you (or any of the other stem cell companies) start doing clinical
trials on patients post-injury (say more than  2 years post injury) and you see
promising results, then I would be excited. Sadly, I have found no clinical
trials doing this - I wonder why? It is extremely depressing that companies
continue to bombard the media with these miraculous stories that are indeed not
at all miraculous if you know something about spinal cord injury at all. Sadly,
the public is misinformed.

My husband would be THRILLED to have an opportunity to try stem cell therapy 3
years post-injury. If you know of anyone doing work in this area, please let us
know.

Sincerely,

Gail Overton
Phoenix, AZ