I'm a C4/5 and I started driving using a separate horizontal Zero-effort
steering wheel: http://emc-digi.com/steering-only/

I found it much easier and reliable than the joystick and no herky-jerks.
I use an EGB gas/brake and the jerking braking can be minimized by
adjusting the brake sensitivity.

Aaron Mann