You couldn't have said it better for all your blessings Joan!!! I would
have said the same if the last 3 years of my life have not gone downhill
dramatically in every direction.

I have pretty much lost all my family now and, for the first time, living
all alone and, in doing that, somehow I came across the most terrible
physicians and a home health agency nurse who, for the first time in my 39
years this month, damaged my urethra beyond repair by blowing up the
balloon inside inside my urethra when changing my catheter requiring
surgery and having to switch urologists... twice. I thought switching (or
being forced to switch) to an SP catheter would be much better like so many
friends have told me that it was but I have had one bladder infection after
another. And the symptoms just started last week that half always been
indicative of a bladder infection for me. The bladder and flank pain has
paralyzed me. Now I am told that I am "colonized" and pretty much depend on
IV antibiotics.

Then, with all the stress I have been through over the last 2 1/2 years it
has caused much more including psychogenic nonepileptic seizures (ever
since my husband's death) and my lower extremity "Dependent Edema" is only
getting worse. I have to stay in bed several days in a row for my ankles
and feet to go down. I can't take any diuretics because they lower my blood
pressure too much and the gradient compression stockings do not help
either. My dependent edema just stretches them out.

I have only one person in my life (my live-in caregiver) and have to pay a
ton for when she goes to visit her boyfriend which is in the contract. I am
thankful that I found her and it was a miracle that I did after my husband
died and then my family found me to be an inconvenience in there life after
3 years. They were not thinking twice about putting me in a nursing home
and were not going to allow me to advertise but I did so anyway. I was not
going to let my Golden Retriever daughter (whom my husband and I adopted
together in 2009) be separated from me.

My live-in caregiver likes to eat at a separate time from me so I have
eaten all alone except before my Furbaby passed away. This will be my first
holiday season without any family or my beautiful Golden daughter. I have
been searching for another Furbaby but have not found one yet that is a
good match.

My life, after going through all that I have over the last 2 1/2 years, has
worn me out. I don't know what I am going to do when my caregiver decides
to move on since I was so much more healthy when I moved in with her and
hired her. Now that I lost my last link to any type of family (my Golden
Retriever daughter who meant the world to me) and after the 3 weeks I spent
in the hospital (between June 28 and July 18) this year when I had a
bladder infection that my one urologist would not treat and I couldn't eat
I was in so much pain. As a result, I wiped my way too much sodium out of
my body whereby I was delirious for a day and a half and almost chewed my
finger off without realizing it. But I made it through that! What is
hurting me most is the medical bills that keep pouring in. I am only
eligible for Original Medicare. If I choose a Medicare advantage plan I
will lose my skilled home health care and supplies that I desperately need.
I have checked into every option and I still don't qualify for any type of
Medicaid or Medicare and Medicaid. I have educated myself many times over
about my financial situation and I am just one of those square blocks that
does not fit into a round hole.

All of you who have family and a home and did not have to get rid of all
that you owned (which I did after my husband's passing and to be able to go
live with family only for me to need all of those things again and having
to purchase them again along with sentimental things I will never get back)
... never take anything for granted! I had everything when I had my
husband! We had everything we needed or wanted from our previous
relationships to our 15-year-old marriage. Just looking at those pictures
that my husband took (he loved photography and took hundreds if not
thousands of photos when we were together with 3 different digital cameras)
make me realize how fortunate I was.

As a lover of music from the 70s I am very familiar with most all 60s, 70s,
80s and some of the 90s music and in particular the group "Bread" with the
lead singer being David Gates ... somehow I missed a song that they put out
that I surely wished I had heard before losing my husband. It is a most
wonderful song and has more meaning for me now than ever albeit somewhat
sad. "Everything I own." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q1kB0R4Ijs says
everything. OR with beautiful clouds and the lyrics to view seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i43aAn2rq8

It will be just be a couple days before it will be 39 years (October 19th)
since my injury but I surely don't call it an anniversary or a celebration.
It is just something that is or that happened in my humble opinion. I wish
I had not lost my father when I was 13, had my accident shortly after
turning 15 and having to stay in the hospital for 13 full months and then
coming home to lose my mother only 6 months later from pancreatic cancer.

If it were not for my grandparents, my first common law husband and then my
husband... I don't know where I would have ended up so I am SO thankful to
them! When I moved in with my sister and brother-in-law my brother-in-law
would not speak one word to me unless he absolutely unequivocally had to.
He would not allow me to use my husband's name in his home and he put me
down any opportunity he had. I am sure it is because of skeletons in our
family closet that my husband and I uncovered and they did not like to hear
the truth even though it was straightforward and in the courts. They just
did not care for those skeleton keys to get unlocked by my husband and I.
They thought they were locked up forever.

I know that my mother gave them monies to help me after my accident but
because of those other people who came into my life... my family was at his
all from my care. My mother, my grandparents and my husband would be
appalled and disgusted at what my two sisters and my brother-in-law and my
two nieces did to me and they would be right. They had set up a wonderful
"share they care" system that included me hiring morning and evening
caregivers 7 days a week that or all fantastic and I did not have any
medical professionals hurt me like they did here but there was nowhere for
me to go in their little town with absolutely no apartment or house even
remotely wheelchair accessible. My sister and brother-in-law put a nice
little ramp onto their ranch style home only to find excuses for seeing me
to move on when I *knew* I had nowhere to go. Even an able-bodied person
takes a wild to find somewhere to move to let alone a high level
quadriplegic like myself. When they let me know of this in the summer of
2015 and it got to be October of 2015 my brother-in-law gave me a time
limit to move out. Simply unbelievable. They had been married since I was 3
years old so I was almost like one of their kids (they have two daughters
of whom are my nieces).

Before my mother's passing when I was 16 she had an addition built onto my
*other* sister and brother-in-law's house for me to live which I did for a
short period of time. Things changed and I could not see my mother when she
was bedridden so she made arrangements for me to come and live with her
even though it was on the second floor. The hometown we lived in volunteer
ambulance and fire department helped carry me up and down stairs every day
so I could work on finishing up high school.

After that, because my other sister and brother-in-law's house with the
addition was up in the woods and I could not get out to see family and
friends... I moved in with my grandparents who lived right next door to my
parents and who originally owned the property. Because I had lived with
them a great that you're ready off my life when growing up they welcomed me
with open arms and asked me to stay with them until their passing. My
grandmother was 77 and my grandfather was 82 when I moved in with them. My
grandfather eventually got colon cancer and passed away. In 1984 I met my
first boyfriend after my accident when I was 20 years old and we were
engaged. I would have lost my services back in the 1980s if we had gotten
married so we didn't get married but stayed together for another 13 years
until I was diagnosed with posttraumatic syringomyelia I had surgery for
that which nearly killed me. I am pretty sure this scared my common-law
husband since I stopped working because of low endurance and perhaps
getting worse over the years (which I did as the pain set in). THANKFULLY &
GRATEFULLY I met the love of my life who was 15 years my senior. He gave
the world to me and more.

Yep... be thankful every single second of every single day for what you
have now if you are not in a nursing home or headed that way. This is also
the first time I have had to live in an apartment and pay someone around
the clock along with their room and board along with all my expenses which
are rising daily. I don't want to be on 6 different medications and the
co-pays are horrific but I just fall in between the cracks monetarily. I
lost my front teeth in the accident and am going to need to have a lot of
dental work done with no dental insurance. The last estimate I got was
$5000 but I have not been back after all I have gone through over the last
two years. When I was living with my sister and brother-in-law (between
September 2012 in January 2016) after my husband's passing for 3 years  I
also had a great dentist and did not need as much time to work back then.
They have always lived in a small town (in Pennsylvania) just over the
border of where we all grew up. Only about a 90 minute drive were less but
on back roads. The town I grew up in is now a dump sadly enough. The
'other' sister that I to still lives in that town over the last 46 years as
well. Both of my sisters have lived in their same house with their same
husbands. Except for my 'other' sister who also lost her husband 2 1/2
years ago so she is now a widow like me. I have a brother but he has been
estranged from the family ever  since my mother's passing. My eldest sister
(whom I lived with for those 3 years in the small town in Pennsylvania)
became the executrix of the will and rented out for different dwellings on
my parents and grandparents land. My brother told me some of that money was
supposed to go toward me and my care over the years but I never saw a
penny.

Sorry to complain about the last 2 1/2 years of my life and right up until
this moment when my bladder pain is so bad I can hardly think straight but,
again, I am truly thankful for all those people who DID come into my life
and really helped me and sacrificed so much for me!

~Lori
PS - pardon any typos but I am losing a lot of energy and I don't want to
have one of my stress related seizures that are also caused by losing too
much air (by using Dragon to explain all of this) along with being in pain
and exhausted (the other two things that bring on the type of seizures I
have).

--
"Petting, scratching and cuddling a dog could be soothing to the mind and
heart and deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." ~Dean