> 2. I'm considering putting a large HD in one of the other 605's, and
> running MKLinux or NetBSD.  I'm thinking of using it as an MP3 server
> (networked, it won't be playing it, just being storage space.) This
> *should* be able to be seen from both OS 7/8 Macs and  PCs (using
> SAMBA, I
> assume,) right? Anyone try this? (this is a great form factor for that,
> IMHO- nice, small, low profile, unobtrusive - I was thinking of it
> when I
> saw the "rack mount Mac" on LEM....)

I ran NetBSD on my LCIII before I upgraded it to a 475 (logic board
Swap). I do not know if the 605 is a straight 68040, I think the FPU was
optional on the Quadra version (it shares lineage with the LC475) but it
needs to be to run BSD as the glitch that stops the FPU working crashes
the current versions. I doubt Linux would be any better either, it's
less well developed AFAIK. I had m LCIII going strong with an Asante
ethernet card and 36MB RAM but I couldn't be bothered tooling around in
Unix, I don't mind using the Terminal as a short cut in OS X but I've
always prefered GUIs :). It is entriely possible t odo what you are
trying to do, you will need to add the NetAtalk and SAMBA packages (I
don't know if they are available from netbsd.org but they are out there)
and any dependencies of those. I'd also recommend adding the BASH or
TCSH shell as the standard CSH shell is very basic.

--

Mark Benson

Vintage Macs List Nanny
aka
        silicon_valley_pirate_uk (Yahoo! Messenger)
        SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
Visit Flat Pack Macs Online at:
<http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Macintosh LC central