In a message dated 4/9/02 2:50:17 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
I have just taken receipt of a Q700 and am surprised to find it has a 601

chip in it aswell. The salesman wiped the drive and has put 7.5.3 on it. How

do I get he OS to recognise the 601 chip ? Do I need a "fat" system or

something ?

7.5.3 should be the earliest OS for that machine.

7.6.1 would be better.

Basically, you install the "fat" system, then you open the PowerPC control
panel, check PowerPC mode, then you completely shutdown the machine. When you
power the machine back on, it will come up in PowerPC mode. To revert to 68K
mode, reverse the process, but uncheck PowerPC mode.