Optimum performance? For me, that's Netscape Navigator 4.08 and
Eudora. I used Eudora Light 3.1.3 for so many years and was so happy
with it that I decided to buy Eudora Pro 4.2.2 on eBay to get IMAP
capability and the built-in spell checking. Turns out IMAP has bugs
in the 68k version, but I use it anyway.

I recommend ResEdit hacking a copy of Netscape to change the memory
cache size and the search page. For Eudora Light, use multiple
settings files for multiple eMail accounts and Excalibur or
SpellTools for spell checking.

As for OS, I use 8.1 because I like all the bells and whistles. If
you want more speed, you probably have to go all the way down to 7.1
like the pickle recommends.

--

Jim