Someone spoke of being a PhD and having better things to do with one's
life than fooling around with old Macs.

After having read the 3 or 4 Quadlists that came in from the weekend, I've
kind of lost track of who it was, but I thought I might reply just the
same.

First off I can speak from experience.  I am an advid collector of
computers.  My oldest being an IMSAI S-100 bus based computer, and going
up through the various Commodore, TRS-80, and Atari lines of machines that
were popular in the 1980's right on into the 90's with a Classic on the
low end and a PowerMac 8500 on the higher end, and a IIci, a couple of
IIvx's,  and various other Lowend PowerMac and high end 68040 machines in
between.

First off my collection is housed in a self-storage faciility the size of
a single car garage.  I do this for 2 reasons.  #1 it keeps the silly
things from over-running my home.  #2 it also gives me a place to work
with them.  I have a power-outlet and a bench out there.

I find that the collection is a nice diversion.  I work a lot.  I work as
a TV engineer for a local cable station.  Being able to come home and
induldge in my technical interests without having to worry about it being
some mission critical thing is, for me, a release.

Likewise, I find that working on the old equipment is actually helpful for
my skills.  The way I approach a problem with a piece of machinery is
different because of it.  I think about low-level events that may be going
on with a machine.  It creates a different mindset.

Now, to the person who mentioned the Macs taking over his life.  The only
thing I could recommend is that if its not fun anymore, stop doing it.  If
it is still fun, then there's nothing really wrong with it.  There are far
worse things in the universe than a garage full of Macintoshes that
actually give someone pleasure.

If you feel you're out of control, then make a list.  Inventory your
Macintoshes and list by them why you like that machine.  My list looks
something like this:

Computers in Use:

8500                          - Edit Bay Computer
6100                          - Home Desktop Computer
IIci w/ PPC upgrade           - Appletalk Server
636 w/ DOS                    - Work Desk Computer
630                           - FTP Server
475                           - Master Control Desk Computer
SE/30                         - Recepie Computer
Classic                       - Bathroom Terminal
IIcx w/ 68040                 - Database Computer
IIcx                          - Appletalk Router
486 Laptop                    - Test Bench Computer
486 Laptop                    - Portable Database Computer
Pentium 100                   - Win95/DOS Machine
Compaq 486                    - MP3 Player (Stereo System)
Apple IIGS                    - Main Apple IIe compatible fun Computer
Commodore 128                 - Main Commodore fun Computer
Commodore 64/SX               - Edit Bay Slate Display Computer
Atari 800                     - C/G Backup Slate Display
286                           - Display Controller
286                           - LPD Server
386/20                        - Internet Router
386/40                        - Commodore / Atari Internet Router

Now this list doesn't even include every computer that I own, just the
one's I use on a regular basis.  You'll notice that some of the computers
are put to use in my job doing various things.  But that doesn't count for
all of them.  Several of the above are just listed as "fun" computers.
That means they serve no purpose other than I like them.

At any rate, by making a list you might figure out how you really use your
computers.  It would aid in culling some of your excess should you decide
to ween yourself from a room full of Macintoshes, or you might even
discover that you use more of them than you realize.

At any rate, I hope this rambling post gives some help.  I'm just giving
some suggestions as a collector on how to "manage" the addiction.

Good luck,
David

-P.S. now if only I could get that work Desk computer to behave itself
with Excel.