Andrew Walters wrote:

>Allo,
>
>I set my Quadra 610 up with Debian GNU/Linux, works great, etc etc. No
>problems there, so I leave it running and doing its thing. A part of the
>week later I come back to find the system time set to December 2nd,
>2001. I thought I might've misadjusted the date when I set the machine
>up (even though I remember doing it.) I set the date back in sync with
>time.nist.gov and I let it sit for awhile more while I cleaned up the
>apartment, and I come back to find it an hour behind, having been gone
>perhaps half an hour. This goes on in a similar fashion.
>
>What's the problem here? I do not believe it's the battery (feel free to
>correct me,) because it keeps pace with my other clocks when powered
>off, and unplugged even. I've got a dead battery Performa next to it
>that resets its date to the mid seventies whenever it comes back on. And
>besides, the machine has been powered and running continually. Some sort
>of Linux/68k issue with "idling"? I dunno.
>
>I just find moving four days into the future and losing six months on
>the system clock a little odd.
>
>Suggestions welcome. =)
>
>Andrew

There is a problem with NetBSD and OpenBSD where time is lost depending
on how much work the processor is doing (the more work it does, the more
time lost).  I didn't know this was a problem with Linux too, but
apparently it is.

There's no real solution to this problem.  I worked around it by having
my Quadra 700 poll my Linux box's time server (which is x86) every 5
minutes.  This keeps the time and date pretty much up to date.  If you
don't have a box on your network you could setup as a time server, you
can always use a public one.