Byron:

I have a similar problem that has me scratching my head. I've also got a
Q840-AV that my wife uses as her main Mac here at home. It won't work at
all with ANY floppy drive. I can unplug the floppy drive and it works
just fine. Plug one in, try to boot, and you get the "chimes of death."
I think it's the controller circuitry on the motherboard that's to blame.

I'm one of those people who is constantly "Mac poor." I buy every old
Mac I can find, whether at auction or through want ads. Most of the
time, if I can buy multiple copies of the same model, I'll bring 'em
home, and try to "marry up" all the guts wherever possible to make a
single good machine. Then I sell them to disadvantaged families who'd
like to own a computer but can't afford to buy one. Besides, this is a
darn good way to keep these people from wandering into the PeeCee camp.
In fact, I've even converted a few families away from the Wintel world
to our camp.

Currently, my lineup includes a PowerMac 9600 which has 512 megs of RAM,
a 500 MHz G4 processor from Sonnet, a Rage Orion 128 video card with 32
megs VRAM, a Firewire/USB combo card, a very, very fast 2960 SCSI card,
internal Zip drive, external Jaz drive, 20-gig tape backup drive, and
two internal hard drives -- one is an 18-gig IBM SCSI drive, the other
is an 80-gig drive, also SCSI, and also from IBM. I wish I'd bought
faster drives to take advantage of the speedy SCSI bus I installed.

My "new" file server is a Quadra 950 a friend from West Virginia gave to
me for the price of shipping. It has 128 megs of RAM, a 2-gig and a
180-gig internal hard drive. I also replaced the floppy drive with an
internal 24x CD-ROM drive -- much more useful than a floppy, anyway. I
also have an external Zip drive attached to it.

The Q950 replaced twin Q700s I'd had for eons. Having all my artwork on
one hard drive is so much more convenient and faster than spread across
two separate machines. Besides, the 950 runs circles around the 700s.

I've got a PowerMac 7200 and 7300 in the bedroom closet just sitting
there. I should be kicked really hard in the butt for EVER buying that
7200 dog. Frigging processor (a PPC 601 @ 90 MHz) is soldered to the
motherboard. I know Sonnet makes a G3 and G4 processor upgrade for the
machine, but the muscle and horsepower would be lost on that machine.
The upgrades plug into a PCI slot. Plus the system bus is a joke.

The 7300 is a half-way decent machine. Has the beautiful unfolding
desktop box design, and the processor is easily upgraded. Has a ton of
RAM slots and can use memory interleaving for a nice speed boost.

I've got may 8-10 other Macs in a spare closet. They're mostly Quadra
700s, or Mac II ci models, but I remember having a working Mac II cx as
well (also a dog -- its ROMs weren't 32-bit clean).

I've got my original Mac 512K (E), Plus and Classic adorning the lower
shelf of a bookcase here in my office at home. I fire them up every now
and then. I still love a few of the old games that won't run on a newer
machine. I find it so hard to believe I ever got any work done on them.
I've been using Pagemaker since it was still in beta. I still have
Pagemaker 1.0a installed on the 512K (E) and still have Pagemaker 3.0 on
the Plus, and Pagemaker 4.2 on the Classic.

I'm a recent newcomer to this mailing list, and this is my first post to
it or anyone on the list. I've had a bad case of antique-itis for almost
two years now. There are a ton of perfectly useful Macs out there that
are in danger of being scrapped. A Mac doesn't have to have a PPC chip
to be useful or productive.

I hope I haven't "talked your ear off" completely! :-) I'm just a little
enthused about finding this list. After reading all the posts for the
last several days, I'm convinced you guys are a really great group of
people. Everyone is so eager and willing to help everyone else out they
can. The only other group like that I'm aware of is the bunch I shoot
bowling pins with. You can be in a very heated competition for the lead
with the guy right next to you, but if you have a problem, he's the
first guy there to help you out.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Allen Davis
-----