>Just a few ideas:
>

>1) What flavour of CD is it?
>
>You may find that if it is a Mac CD, linux won't like it - try a
>standard format (eg. the debian install CD, if you have one).  Yes - I
>realise that is probably what you are using but it is worth a try.

It was the debian Cd which read fine under mac os (pc extensions i guess)

>2) How are you trying to mount it?
>
>I'd expect you to need a command like
>
>mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

just from the basic console got to with #(or however your meant to say the apple
key!)-F2
and "mount /dev/cdrom /instmnt" /instmnt being the installmount point used by the
installer

>(run as root)

You don;t get a choice during the install, this is a fresh install! and install
runs as root as far as i can tell (it'd have to wouldnt it?)

>- where /dev/cdrom is your cdrom device, and /mnt/cdrom is a directory
>which currently exists where you want to mount it.
>
>From your post, it sounds like /dev/sr0 is your device, but that
>doesn't  sound like what I would expect linux to call it.

Me neither, though thats what it says for doing a dmesg|more

I'd expect
>/dev/sdx (x being the scsi id of your CD drive).  It may be that
>debian found it on install and linked it to /dev/cdrom - that's worth
>a try.

tried /dev/cdrom, no dice! /dev/sr4 and /dev/sr5 exist but don;t do anything
(as shown with ls /dev/sr*)
and idea which /dev/sdx it might be?
does linux refer to the scsi devices in order startiong with the lowest no?
the hd is sda, being scsi id3.
the cdrom is scsi id 5, which is the next (an only other device bar the computer
itself)
should be sdb, but neither /sdb or /sdb1 will mount giving a "no such device or
address"

>If you can't do this, what errors do you get?

failed: no such file or directory
(for /dev/cdrom)

>3) Otherwise, you might need a driver for your CD drive.  Try googling
>around to see if anyone has written one.
>
>If the worst comes to the worst, you could do it by booting into
>MacOS, copying the relevant files on your HD and then booting to
>linux. A bit of a kludge - but it should work.

the drive works fine using debian 2.2 it's just a problem i'm having with 3.0
guess progress isn't always good ;-)

can;t really copy the entire install onto the drive as i've only got a 1gb drive in ;-)
still i may copy just the kernal and device install bit, maybe after that it may mount
the hd!!!
worked fine in deb 2.2 though right from the start.

speaking of odd things, under debian 2.2 i never got x to work (old install on a 250mb
hd!!!!)
still got the cdebian 2.2hd and put it in my other quadra and now x works (exact same
machine
a c650)  is this because the 2nd machine has only the onboard vram whereas this machine
has been expanded with vram simms? still the spare quadra is dodsy and the gfx
pallette keep
getting messed up and changing the colours on screen, very odd, only does it under mac
os though
not under linux/x.

any other ideas?

Cheers,