Hi, y'all,

I have been having trouble, serious trouble, with my LC580 lab in a
classroom. The lab consists of 14 LC580's  12 of which are daisy chained

with thin Ethernet using PDS cards with BNC connectors. These connect to

the BNC port on a hub. I then use one of the RJ45 ports as my uplink.
Two are connected directly to the hub via patch cord and cards with RJ45

ports.

Each computer has OS7.5.5 - 8.1 and at least 36 MB of RAM. There is an
LW IINT printer networked using AppleTalk connectors and a DaynaPort
Print Serve device.

I am using OpenTransport networking and each computer is assigned a
static IP address.

I was called in when only 4 of 14 'puters made connection. And I get a
variety of error messages when I go in to work on them. I first check to

see if the computer is set to Ethernet in the AppleTalk control panel.
On some it isn't and when I try to switch to "Ethernet", I get the
following message:
"An error occurred attempting to use Ethernet.  Make sure your network
connections are correct."

Some ARE showing "Ethernet", and when I then try to open the Browser
(Netscape 4.08), the computer makes an attempt to connect to "Google"
which is the designated Homepage. However, I then will get this
message:  "Netscape is unable to locate the server: www.google.com. The
server does not have a DNS entry.  Check the server name in the Location

(URL) and try again."

I worked most of the afternoon Saturday and when I left school, I had 12

of the 14 back on line and able to "see" and connect to the network
printer. Monday I went in early bout 7:00 a.m. and could get only 9/14
on LAN and Internet. By mid-morning, the chain was down to 8/14. Today,
Tuesday, I was back to my original 4/14.

I have swapped out some of the cards, BNC T-connectors, and have
upgraded some of the OS's.
I have noticed some "Date and Time" discrepancies and plan to replace
some of the PRAM batteries.

The four that ARE making connection come up solid every time. One is the

first on the chain and and its ethernet cable goes directly to the BNC
port on the hub. The last computer on the chain also comes up solid
every time. The other two "solid" 580's have cards with RJ45 ports and
are connected to the hub using individual patch cords.

Sorry for such a long post, but I am feeling very frustrated and dumb.
Does this suggest something to any of you?

Jim