Greetings!

I have been reading the Quadlist for a little while now, choosing to "lurk
and learn" for a bit before posting here.

I see little to no talk regarding the Quadra 700 thus far on this list.  Is
this particular CPU just not popular here, or have I just not been lurking
here for a long enough time?  I mean, is it considered to be a
less-than-good choice of '040 CPUs?  I occasionally find references to
various problems regarding the flashing question mark when booting.  But,
other than that, it just seems to be less popular.  Why is that?  Is there
something about my 700 that I am missing?

So far, I have had a good bit of fun learning how to hod rod the hardware
and optimize the software.  But am I missing some fatal flaw that would
make me want to migrate to another '040?

Here is my setup:

Quadra 700/50 MHz Sonnet QuadDoubler, 68 MB RAM, 2 MB VRAM, 2 GB 7200 rpm
Baracuda HD, with a 17" Apple Color Monitor, Apple 600e CD ROM Drive,
OneScanner, Personal LaserWriter 320, all PAINSTAKINGLY painted flat black
and dull-coted (looks great, too).  It is running 7.1 with a few add-ins
from Gamba's site and a 7.5.5 System Folder.  I use Eudora 3.1.3 and iCab
and older versions of my favorite applications.  This old thing, when
running this setup, feels quite fast in the finder, is not bad on the WWW,
and is really fun for me to use.

So (again), what am I missing here?  Should I get a different Quadra and
transfer my upgrades to it?  Is this a viable "only" system for me at home?
I use a Lombard as my main machine, but the mother board is in the throes
of a slow death.  I will then be left with this 700 "hobby" machine and my
trusty SE/30 as my only web and productivity machines until I can save up
the cash needed to buy a new Mac (which will be quite a while,
unfortunately for me...)

Have I invested too much time in a Mac that is dead end rather than low
end?  HELP!!

Wade Rackley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--