I wish I know the answer to that, John. All I know, first from reading it
on the list and later from substantial direct experience, is that one of
the syptoms of a dead PRAM battery is the inability to recognize the video
or to progress past the initial 'boing'. I've been spending the past
several weeks spending a couple of hours a day, replacing PRAM batteries in
the old LC-class computers at my son's school. There was quite a discussion
earlier this year on one of the LEM lists about this topic, including
speculation about the effects of leaving an "instant-on" system unplugged.
I would speculate that the system keeps some sort of its video board
configuration in PRAM and if that's lost, it can't decide how to display
the "Welcome to Macintosh" message or even the Happy Mac, so it just hangs.
Perhaps if the power is cycled rapidly, some capicitor retains a charge
long enough for the POST to identify the video board configuration and
permits startup to proceed.

        Sp00ky