Julian

Here is something I saved of Scott's many years ago. I'm not sure if it
is the same as what you had. I think it dates back to when the Qlist
first started. I know it was in response to a request from Morty Skylar
who I think is still here.

The L2 cache is accessed by the 040 series processor, whether LC040 or
full 040, it doesn't matter.  When Motorola designed the chip, it was
designed to look for L2 cache when the power came on, so there usually
isn't a necessary control panel or software addition to use the L2 Cache.
 This is especially true with the no slot solutions where the L2 cache
consists of a small daughtercard that plugs into the    processor socket,
and likewise the existing processor plug into the daughtercard.  A
further variation of this was the QuadDoubler 128k, which had both 128k
of L2 cache and a 4x clocked processor.

Given this, the only limitation to getting a L2 cache into your machine
is how the acreage on the motherboard is divided.  Since each motherboard
design may move or relocate the 040 socket to a different spot on the
motherboard, making a no-slot   Cache solution may mean making sure that
the cache card does not hit the case wall, or block expansion slots.  In
addition, enough case height must exist so that the card can be
installed, and the lid still put on the machine.

Because of the various designs of the 040 motherboards that Apple
released, there would be necessary 4 cache cards to be made that would
adequately fit all of the motherboards available, with a few exceptions.
This is an adhoc list of those that I know exist.  Note that
Quadra/Centris/Performa is the same thing on this list, so there aren't
any further questions about the matter

*LC575 is the only model that has trouble---I have a supplier that has
adhoc 575 cache cards please contact me directly if you're interested in
this option.</FONT>

Please note, I have not found a cache card for either the 630 or 640.
Don't ask.  If I find a supplier that will meet the constraining needs of
these two motherboard classes, I will of course announce it on the list.

Q610/660AV.  Q650.  LC475/605.  LC575* Q700 Q800 Q9xx

As well, if the above list does not match your form factor, then I
haven't seen one.  The list above is as complete as I'm aware of.  I
don't know of any other machines but the ones on the list above.  There
is no need to ask me if your machine is supported if it's not on the
list, because I haven't found one that works with it, whatever the model.

>Anyone have any suggestions?
Our list mom may be aware of where Scott is.

Vincenzo