I've done a lot of audio recording using an AudioMedia card in a IIfx, and
never had any kind of problem with skipping. The IIfx is pretty pathetic in
power compared to the boxes you're looking at. Personally, I don't think
you're going to find the processor or bus speed to be a limiting factor in
doing the recording. Of course, if you're planning on doing any post
compression or effects type stuff, a faster processor will help.

As for your skipping problem - look into defragmenting your hard drive,
and make sure that no other apps are doing anything in the backround
while the recording is going on. Try and boot using only the extensions
that are required for what you're doing. Try turning Appletalk off.
Personally, I'm surprised you're having problems - even 48kHz sampling
rates are pretty easy on decade old hardware. My old IIfx never seemed to
miss a beat, and I wasn't running anything special.

What kind of system are you using now?

-dustin

<http://www.mail-archive.com/quadlist%40mail.maclaunch.com/>

http://www.applelinks.com