Hi

The board swap took about 15 minutes the only sticking point, the
speaker connection being 3 pin on the 700 and 2 pin on the 800. A very
easy swap, I just put the same drives in and booted.
No real noticeable difference until I loaded Doom, very noticeable. The
game is completely playable, the speed is good, as is the sound. Thanks
pickle and Michael, well worth the effort.

While I have the case open I thought I'd try a hard drive swap, simple
enough. Well maybe not, the drive is in HFS+ and I get the little "where
have all my files gone" txt which I cant read booting from a floppy. The
7.5 Startup Disk wont erase the drive from the special menu claiming the
drive is locked and the 7.5 Disk Tools disk will not show the desktop. I
guess its stuck on working out what the hard drive is?
Anyway, while swapping it out of the 700 is easy, swapping it back to
the powermac it came from just to format it is a pain, is there an easy
way to do this which I'm overlooking or do I need the other bootable
drive connected to be able to format it on the 700? Or must it go back
to the powermac for formatting? Thanks.