At 04:04 PM 1/8/2003 +1100, you wrote:

>J Sand wrote:
>
> >Is AUX Apple's version of Unix, and if so, where to find a copy of it?
> >

>It's not hard to find but what are you going to do with it?
><snip>
>I'm not trying to compare AUX to Debian as I really have no idea whether
>anyone, anywhere actually supports AUX and since I've never installed it
>I have no idea what its capable of. Linux and BSD are atleast actively
>supported for 68k macs and up and are also freely available.

Well, the big thing about AUX is while being UNIX, it still supports 99% of
System 7 compatible software, and even a good fraction of
extensions/control panels. Unfortunately, it's now a rather old Unix, but
it's still Unix. It also has the familiar, friendly Macintosh interface. It
really is very much like OS X for 68ks, minus all the pretty stuff. It even
has a "/" partition. It really was an innovation, if Apple had kept with it
and developed it they'd have killed Win95 before it got anywhere. That, and
dropped the price a bit.

That said, for useful work, I can strongly endorse Debian. I am running two
Quadra 605s (upgraded to 33mhz '040s) and a 840AV with Debian doing
serving. The 840AV does about 7-10 gigs of uploading a week alone without
breaking a sweat.

I'm working on getting AUX running again on my 50mhz IIci, but am having
trouble booting the installer and mounting the CD at the same time. It
worked before, so I don't know what's up, but oh well...

Scott Holder