I do not know if we're going too far off-topic now, but we'll hear soon
enough one of the nannies complaining.

Considering compilers you have basically two choices. The most important
two are: MPW (Apple's tools, free) and Metrowerks Codewarrior (not
free.)

About porting gaim to MacOS 7.5: this is absolutely not trivial, because
it is based on gtk and glib. So porting gaim requires porting glib and
gtk too or writing our own glue code. Furthermore, it's written in C
which I personally do not like.

I think going C++ is a better idea because development is much more
structured (or can be :-) ) and there is a framework (like gtk) to help
us here: MacApp (Apple's free application framework). I already have
MacApp r12 example applications compiling under MPW. MacApp r12 dates
from the System 7 era so it seems to fit well. And it has very good
documentation, all available in the Apple archives.
Also, for example kopete is the KDE equivalent of gaim; it is a
multi-protocol (plugin based) chat client written in C++. So the basic
design can be taken from kopete.

Furthermore, I am willing to develop for this quad-chat program (in
fact, I have written some 50% of a msn client in Realbasic but abondoned
the project because my RB copy is illegal). But I am not willing to lead
development because I do not have much time the coming year.

So, is there anybody there to lead development? I will join the club.

Greetings to all,

Ronald