At 06:45 PM 1/21/2003, Scott Holder typed thusly:

>At 12:52 PM 1/21/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Well, my 640CD DOS runs Win95 fine, and would likely run 98. Haven't tried NT.

Wasn't thinking of 95 (and haven't in years. <g>) I've seen statements
saying flat out they do *not* run Linux, NT, or OS/2. (Which is too bad, I
wanted to get OS/2 going on the 640.)

It's something about how they access the disk and/or memory, I don't recall
the details. (Given how the 9x family is so scabbed on top of the
win3.1/dos setup...)

Anyway, for whoever said it sounded like more of a novelty - it depends. If
you have a PC, yeah, it is (unless the PC is so new it won't run DOS stuff
well, part of why I'm eventually going to back up the HD, reformat, and
give it a DOS drive again.) If you have(had) a Mac and just needed to run,
say, WordPerfect for DOS, early WinWord, etc, it made more sense to get a
cheap card to add to the Mac than get another machine altogether.