On Monday, Jan 27, 2003, at 13:09 Europe/London, the pickle wrote:

>>      What CD Roms can I use in the 630? Any particular specs apart from
>> scsi?
>
> Not really :)

You are better off, if you want a CD-ROM only, replacing it with
another Apple badged unit. This will ensure maximum compatibility and
also that you can boot from the CD drive. It also better ensures the
drive will fit the 630 (see below). Stripped Apple SCSI  units are
pretty easy to  find on LEM Swap and places like that.

>>      Will the 630 recognise a CD RW?
>
> Yep, quite nicely.

Yes, using Toast 4.1.2 or earlier. It's not really worth going much
faster than 4x CD-R though as the 68k probably can't manage a CD-R much
faster. My 7300/200 struggled to write to a FireWire CD-RW at more than
12x, but that might well have been the FW card that sucked :).

>>      Any precautions?
>
> They can be a bit tricky to get out, but they're not too bad.

You have to be *very* careful where the rear connectors are on the CD
drive for the 630. The CD drive attaches to the computer via a series
of edge connectors. These plug into the power, SCSI and Audio-out ports
of the CD-ROM drive. If they are more than a few mm either side of
where they should be it will not fit the machine without you modify the
carrier inside the machine.

--
Mark Benson

AIM - SilValleyPirate
Visit FlatPackMacs online: <http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Vintage Macs List Nanny

"Never send a human to do a machine's job."
                                -The Matrix