Hi all,

First post to this list. I've got a Power Mystic -- a Color Classic
with an LC575 motherboard, and a PPC601 upgrade card (66MHz model), and
it''s working great, except for one thing: the 256k L2 cache doesn't
work.

TattleTech detects it as present, but reports it as not enabled. The
Apple 601 Processor Upgrade control panel (which is the proper CP for
the Apple and Daystar varieties of this card) only allows one to toggle
between the 601 and the on-board 68040; no L2 cache on/off switch.

According to Low End Mac, every card ever produced in this form factor
(Apple, Daystar, Sonnet) has a 256k L2 cache. I have tried using
various Daystar Control Panels, but they do not turn on the L2 cache
either, Daystar's PowerControl has a button for L2 cache info, but it
is greyed out. NewerTech's old Cache-22 util (part of their Guages
package) crashes before it can finish starting up.

I've googled the Web and Usenet, and I've checked the Pickle's LEM FAQ,
all to no avail.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Matt

P.S. I hope this is on-topic here--I figured that since it's a 575 mobo
involved at the core of things, this question is more at home here than
on 1st PowerMacs or CompactMacs.