At 20:33 -0400 on 18/02/03, Jason White wrote:

>First, I saw on LEM that this machine can use 64M SIMMs, but only certain
>types. Does anyone out there have a 64M SIMM in a 605 or 475? If so, is

Works fine, and I got it from...uhmmm...I think these guys:

http://www.memorysolutions.com/64mb72pinsimm.html

There are better deals on RAMSeeker.com, though.  You can also put a 128 MB
SIMM in there; someone posted recently that Coast to Coast Memory has 128 MB
SIMMs in stock that work fine.

>get a better monitor. While on the monitor note, do regular PC SVGA
>monitors support the 832 x 624ish resolution this machine can make, or is

Not most of them.

>Third, what OS would you guys & gals recommend? I've got a 16M SIMM I can
>put in it, bringing it to 20M of physical RAM, until I decide to buy a
>bigger SIMM for it. I know I've got 7.1, 7.5.3, 7.6.1, and 8.1, but know

7.1 is a lot faster than the rest.

>Fourth I read the article (linked from LEM) about over clocking this
>machine. Has anyone here tried it? If so, was there a noticable

Also done that, and it made a BIG difference.

>difference? I saw that you had to install the resistors on a switch, so
>you could install OS 7.5. Does that apply to later OS's, or does it even

Overclocking alters the gestalt ID, in which case you ought to be able to fix
it with ResEdit or Wish I Were.  Just install the OS before you overclock to
avoid the problem entirely :)

>work with later OSs? Does the PDS still work if you overclock it?

Mine works fine with an Ethernet card.

>Fifth, does changing out the LC040 to a full 040 provide much of a boost?

Not in day-to-day work.

>Does it produce any compatibility problems?

Definitely not.

>Sixth, are ther any other PDS cards that would be fun to play with for
>this machine. The only ones I'm aware of are ethernet, the Apple 2e card,
>and I think I saw a video card for the LC's on eBay once. LEM says there
>are PPC upgrade cards for this machine, but that's probably not something
>I can see myself doing. Are there any LC cards that don't work in this
>machine? I'm guessing an '040 upgrade card (for an LCIII) probably
>wouldn't work, but anything else?

Ethernet and audio are the only two things that are practical or worthwhile;
there are a few video-in cards but they're so rare you might as well forget it,
and the video-out cards are almost universally slow.

The PPC cards are a huge waste of money unless you get one free, but they don't
work with 64 MB SIMMs anyway.
--

the pickle

FAQ <http://macfaq.org/index.shtml>