Hmm -
Easiest thing to do would be go into the control panels, find Appletalk,
and either disable it or tell it to use the modem (the other serial) port -
unless, of course, you have a modem set up there, too.

Alternately - again, if you don't have a modem - switch the cable to the
modem port (they're both serial ports) and change the settings in the
Chooser (under the Apple menu.)

Alternative 2 is to kill Appletalk - given that you don't have more Macs,
you're not using it to network. Go to the Extensions Manager (in control
panels) and de-select Appletalk.

What I think is going on is this - you can network Macs via their serial
ports (localtalk.) IF this is enabled, and it's looking on the serial port
you have your printer hooked to for the network, Appletalk has control of
the port - basically the fat guy in front of the tiny window you're trying
to look (er, print) through. <g>

HTH,
Eric

At 09:53 PM 2/27/2003, John E. "Jay" Maass typed thusly: