At 15:30 -0400 07/22/2003, Quadlist wrote:

From: Matt Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Quadra 700?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:52:37 -500

I am looking for/considering the purchase of a Quadra 700. I know this machine was
used in the creation of Myst which increases its appeal a bit. I even have a copy of
StrataVision 3D (same s/w Cyan used) for it. (StrataVision runs on a '030 but the
speed is laughable). What is the overall impression of this Mac in terms of
performance/etc?

If you just particularly want a Q700 that's cool, but the Quadra or Centris 650 is a better machine and very similar. The Q650 has one more NuBus slot than the Q700, an updated chipset which may improve performance some (anyone done comparisons?) and has a higher practice RAM capacity--which is to say that the firmware in the Q700 may support more than 68 MB, but the four 30 pin SIMM sockets limits it to 4 X 16 + 4 = 68 MB. Whereas the Q650 has four 72 pin sockets which can go at least to 132/136 MB and possibly (does the Q650 use 64 MB SIMMs?) 260/264. Also, the Q/C 650 can be hacked up to 40 MHz without too much trouble (depending on how much trouble soldering is to you).

If you particularly like the IIcx/IIci/Q700 case, the Q/C650 board can be made to fit in one, but it makes a mess out of the rear panel. However, the power supplies are the same or at least compatible.

I also would like to give it some A/V capabilities. What would be the best video-card
for this Mac? What would be the best add-on card for A/V (if the "recommeneded
card" doesn't have A/V inputs? (And if anyone has some of these cards, please make
any offers to me off-list)

The NuBus Video Vision Studio is available for pretty reasonable prices these days. I have one, but so far have only used it as a video card. Moving a VCR next to it to try out the video capture is turning out to be a huge mental barrier for me... The VVS does not have sound functions--you use the Macs built in sound recording to record the audio portion of the A/V.

Jeff Walther