Powermac wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sque" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I don't know about a photoshop plugin but the 660av takes 1mb of the 8mb
onboard for vram.
Probably better of with some kind of video card. It explains the lack
of speed for mine.

Isnt the video ram part of the motherboard? I didnt think it used system ram for video. I upgraded my 840av to 2 meg VRAM so I can get more color depth. Most software slowdowns are caused by not having enough system ram causing the system to swap to the HD alot. My system (840AV 128mb ram) is snappy considering its age and all.

Check the 660av specs

1 MB of built-in 80 ns VRAM is dedicated to video function.

While the 840av has 1 mb dedicated and 4 extra slots for 4x256k to give a max of 2mb.
How well the 660 allocates this "vram" and the fact that its capped at 1mb causes me concern when using a program such as photoshop. You may well be correct stating photoshop has a pluggin for the 660 in which case the overall system ram may play a part.

Both models you mention use 80ns vram, the difference in the way each is setup and the extra mb you have would explain the difference for me.
Macs love ram, the more the better.