on 10/17/03 2:30 PM, Quadlist at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Sounds likie a bad RAM SIMM syptom. Getting at the RAM slots is NO FUN! But
> that's where I'd start.
>
>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Meeks)
>> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:52:14 -0500
>> To: "Quadlist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Subject: Sad Mac Code help needed
>>
>> To all...HELP!
>>
>> I just picked up a Quadra 840av a few days ago from a Swap List member the
>> other day and he said that the computer had booted up OK.  However when I
>> started it up I initially got the normal startup tone then some
>> strange-sounding (percussion-type) audio before everything quit and no
>> video output.  I installed a 8*24GC video card and tried again.  This time
>> I got video output and a Sad Mac code of:
>>
>> 0000000F
>> 0000000C

Hi Hal and all;
The error codes you posted indicate a likely software error. Since you got
these codes after installing the video card, it seems likely.
  Also you said you got the normal startup chime, followed by strange
sounding percussion type sounds. Sad Macs caused by S/W problems are most
often accompanied by an arpeggio-like 4 note startup tone.
  It could also be Ram related as Micheal said. Whay I'd do is open it up
and check to be sure everything is seated properly, cards, Ram chips ect.
 If that doesn't work, pull all the Ram and try to startup with just 1 Ram
chip. If that doesn't work, pull that chip and try another. Keep going until
you try them all. If you have a bad chip, you'll find it. While you have the
chips and cards out, you might clean the contacts with a pencil eraser.and
maybe some canned air to clean the slots.
  Also, if you have one, you can try to startup with a S/W install CD or
floppy. If it will boot with the CD or floppy, you have a S/W problem. The
above info comes from Sad Macs, Bombs, and other Disasters 3rd edition. HTH
--Thanks; Rev. George
--Maranatha (means the Lord cometh)