Powermac wrote:
How long are PRAM batteries supposed to last and where is a cheap place to
find replacements? I had to replace 2 already this year (one on a IIfx, one
on a 840AV) now my PM8500 has the wrong date.

The wonders of the pram battery.

The classic is still running the battery it came with while the imacs have all starting to go in the last 8 months, the imacs are 34 months old and always connected while the classic has been 4 years under this roof and not well used.

Quads have all been changed as I have not aquired one with a working battery while the VI is still running the original battery to the best of my knowledge, again this machine was always powered.

As an example only, the classic will generally have a working battery while the classic II with have the battery spilling its guts over the logic board for the same amount of time.

Many factors seem to affect the life of the pram battery, shelf life being a big unknown. I would lean toward 3+ years for <G3 and less if its a newer machine.

The Macs II/IIx/IIfx all contain a battery holder, with two batteries, so says the manual. you want a grain of salt with that? ;)

Cheers and sorry for the OT examples.