A couple of weeks ago I reported that a Quadra 700 motherboard could be, without any
modifications, installed into a Mac IIvx/IIvi/Performa 600 case. But I said then that
you would need to get along without an internal CD-ROM drive. I WAS WRONG!!!!

You can have your internal CD-ROM drive and use it too! You just won't be able to
listen to music, or any other audio -- because the Q700 board lacks the connector for
audio from the CD drive. But all other features of the drive will work. I just did it
this morning. Again, no mods necessary. Just make sure you use a scsi cable capable of
handling two drives (same with internal power cable).

So, if you have an old Q700 board, and you've also got a case for a wimpy old Mac
IIvx, IIvi, or Performa 600 with CD-ROM drive, you can just drop that Q700 board into
their case, use CD's, get about five times the power, and run OS 8.1 to boot! (my
experience is that OS 8.1 is NOT slow on a Quadra, like some people say. But it does
soak up RAM. Plan on at least 20 mb, even more would be better) Of course, a Quadra
650 board works great too, if you have one.

Good Luck,

Richard