<snip>
2.2.8 - Is there a limit to the size of the hard disk I can put in my Mac?

Yes, but it's probably not as low as you may have been told in most cases. This Mac Daniel article (awaiting other hosting) explains the situation. </snip>

Aloha Everyone, I've been using MACs for about a decade and fortunately for me, I haven't had the need to go into the case or mess around with software much. Basically, I'm saying I'm a novice with this computer. I just joined this list in the hopes of reviving an old Performa 476. The hard drive died about 6 years ago and instead of fixing it, I replaced the 476 with a 7100 reusing the keyboard, monitor and whatever else was hooked up to it. The 7100s HD is near it's capacity so I've acquired a 50 pin 9 GB HD. This works fine in the 7100 and my plan was to use the 7100s old 1.2 GB HD in the 476. This should all work fine but I was thinking that I should just keep that HD the way it is for a back up. Searching for another HD for the 476 revealed that there are some 50 pin 18 GB HDs out there, so being caught up with "more is better," I was thinking of grabbing a 18 GB HD for the 7100 and using the 9 GB HD in the 476. Of course I can't seem to get the 476 to recognize the 9 GB HD drive. Any ideas??? BTW After picking up the neighbors curbside trash, I've got just about everything (keyboard/monitor) I need to bring the 476 back to life with the exception of the current problem. -stew