On Sep 22, 2004, at 9:32 PM, Stephen Alexander wrote:

I may be off base but I think it must be doable. I suspect At Ease can be configured to handle that stuff because IIRC when I was in HS they locked down the machines with a fairly early version which we were not able to floppy-boot to get around... Again I can't be certain but if memory serves (it doesn't always of course, and this was some 12 or so yrs ago) this should be doable.

I pulled out the owner's manual for At Ease 2. With that release it was possible to start from another boot disk and remove the at ease settings. At least that is the method listed in the back of the manual as the way to get back in if you loose the administrator password.

Disk format utilities often include an option to password protect a volume, so you could create a password protected partition that only you could access. As I recall Stuffit Deluxe had the ability to create encrypted files as did early versions of PGP.

If you are running a system up through 7.5.5 you can create users in PowerTalk and files placed in users box will be unaccessible to other users with out proper permission.

bill