On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:29:05 +0100, Yahoo Mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, I have a (I think) problem: when I click on 'about this mac' on finder
> the windows display a generic macintosh type, not the specific model that I
> own,  quadra 700. The system version is 7.5.

Around that time is when the Macintosh System Software - e.g. System
7.5.5 - became MacOS, because it's when Apple started allowing
licensed clones. MacOS 7.6 was the first OS branded MacOS because it
might be running on machines that were not Apple Macs.

So the system model was dropped from the About This Computer dialog,
as MacOS would not be able to accurately identify the legions of
non-Apple clones.

If you want it back, download & install Mac Identifier 3. It puts back
the model info & picture on all later versions, right up to 9.2.2. I
use it on all my machines. :-)

--
Liam Proven
Home: http://welcome.to/liamsweb * Blog: http://lproven.livejournal.com