>From: John Niven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [q] What does everyone use their Quadras for?
>Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:43:12 -0700
>

>I have just set up a Quadra 950 with the 66Mhz Apple/Daystar PPC PDS
>card. I have a 160Mb 50pin Apple drive as a boot drive running OS 8.1.
>Then behind that I have the five drive carrier loaded with 5 Viking II
>68pin drives. These are 8.5Gb and were recycled from my former
>employers Linux farm. They are strung together on an ATTO express iv
>nubus card. The best bit is that I found a copy (shrinkwrapped!) of
>REMUS V1.4 on eBay :-) Thus my 5 8.5Gb drives are now one 36Gb RAID 5
>array. Fast and secure. This 950 sits in my garage, hooked onto my home
>network. I plan to use the RAID array for archiving old mac software.
>
>I love the lines of the Q950. That big PSU demands that you fill it
>with hard drives. Who cares that my five drives have less capacity than
>one of todays IDE's. I love the sound of them spinning up! You can see
>the direct connection to the G5 towers :-)
>
>John

Hey there John;

I was exploring my copies of quadlist that I normally don't get
in any hurry to read these days.

This is the first time I've actually heard of someone who FOUND
and HAS one of the five drive carriers!  Perhaps you could toss
me a jpeg of that one!

FWIW I just took a (Q900 mobo plopped in a 950 case) out of service
a few weeks ago finally from it being our main business computer.
Was kinda strange to finally shut it down.  Set up a 7300-200 in
its place to handle the business chores from now on.  Made for
better foot space under the desk where the 950 used to collect
dust and toe stubbings.  Kinda funny... UPGRADING to a 7300-200
two weeks ago.

Out in my puter warehouse (old box truck) I have an old 950 with
a 100 mhz card and 16 of those old 16 meg ramsticks and had it
set up to run ... I think 3 17" monitors.  Had the extra cards to
run it on 5 monitors if desired too.  I was always fond of that
machine.  Can't quite come to parting it out or tossing it...
especially all those 16 meg sticks.  Maybe I'll set it up with
the old flight sim this summer.

The 950 was the first machine that felt like I had a REAL computer
even though I was riding the 'trailing edge' of technology when
I finally got it for a few hundred bux.

Who cares indeed!  They were major machines in their day and its
hard to have anything other than respect for them even now so long
after their heyday.  A couple of my cars are older than that

I don't know how to do the RAID thing, but maybe will have to
find that out one of these days too.  I thought those old machines
couldn't read anything larger than 2G drives?  Must have something
to do with the RAID thing?

Don

Forget Auction Fees and auction time consumed.
Buy, Sell, Trade, Donate, or just plain chat through mail lists.

http://mailstew.com/