Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 13:45:24 -0500
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [q] q840av video Q

Hi list,

I have a couple Nubus video cards, and was wondering if either of them
gives any advantage over the built-in video of my Q840AV.  I got them
both secondhand and don't know anything about either except what is
printed on the card.

1: 8" card with "RADIUS Inc 1992 PrecisionColor 24Xp" printed on it.
There is also a sticker that repeats that info, and adds "V1.3.2 256K
U1200 -0047-03-A".

2: 6" card with "Accelerated 8-Bit Graphics I/F (C) RADIUS Inc. 1993"
printed on it.  Small sticker says "632-0188-02 Rev. A4".

Both have an identical chip that says (c)1992 Radius 297-0582 4LO8F1044.
  #1 has another (c)1991 Radius chip 297-0587, and #2 has a (c)1993
Radius chip 297-0501-01.  Both have some chips that I assume are VRAM,
but no indicator how much.

I've got one slot left in my Quadra so I want to pick the better of the
two, if either is better than the onboard video.  Thanks for any info!

My guess is that the built-in is going to be better than any NuBus card you can install, but why don't you get a copy of MacBench and run the Graphics test suites and compare?

The two cards you have there are fair cards, but not among the fastest that were released before NuBus was abandoned.

The fastest video cards would be a Radius Thunder IV GX (1152, 1360 or 1600), Radius Thunder 24/GT or the Villagetronics MacPicasso 340 (not the 320).

Those might give the Q840AV's internal video a run for its money but I'm not sure. And it depends on what type of applications you're using, of course.

The Thunder IV GX series bears a daughter card with four DSP processors to speed Photoshop operations. So if you're running an OS earlier than 7.6 (PhotoEngine extension doesn't work on 7.6 and later) and you're using Photoshop, then a Thunder IV GX might be your best bet.

On the other hand if you want the fastest frame rates you can get in something like Marathon, then you're probably best off with the built-in video.

Absent someone who has already done the testing, the only way to find out is to run some benchmarks yourself. I've run a bunch on the Power 120 machine (8100 clone) but I have not tested a Q840AV.

Jeff Walther