On 5/29/2015 2:33 AM, Paul Jakma wrote:
On Thu, 28 May 2015, Jafar Al-Gharaibeh wrote:

But you are doing this for every daemon for every VRF, things add up really quick. In a small experiment that I'm running now Quagga (zebra, ospfd, pimd) uses 9MB of RAM. if I start adding VRFs I'm going to hit a wall really quick.

Are you going to use 16 - 32 MiB boxes to run lots of VRFs though?
Probably not, but even with more RAM available I still; have many other services running on the same box competing for resources. I can do more VRFs with the a single daemon.

Other parts are single-core, both approaches single/multi daemon have their best use cases.

Perhaps. The question is to how to integrate them.

If they are hard to integrate together then, for me, ultimately multi has to win, because memory and execution units are only going to increase - even in the embedded space. The latter we can never take advantage of if we choose to stick with a fixed, low number of execution contexts.

I'm a believer in concurrent ( multi core/thread) systems, I don't disagree with you on the point of the need to utilize the resources on such systems. However, I still see a great value in the low footprint single-daemon approach. This is true even for multi-core and better equipped systems.

Regards,
Jafar