On Mar 3, 2016 6:59 PM, "Donald Sharp" <sha...@cumulusnetworks.com> wrote:

> Paul -
>
> I believe I understand your logic.  I'm not sure I agree with it, but I
don't have to necessarily :)

> The one thing that concerns me most is the semantics of 'rounds keeper'.
If I go and talk to someone outside of the quagga community and explain
what I do( or am attempting to do ) in the quagga community 'rounds keeper'
has no meaning and just provokes more questions.  I think I would prefer
terms that are universally understood by people and as such 'rounds keeper'
fails this test for me.

> Why not call you, Vincent, and Greg the board of directors

Sounds interesting. I guess we can have another name so that it sounds more
of an open source project.

and people with commit access maintainers?

> donald
>
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Paul Jakma <p...@jakma.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A topic that rumbles around in the background. Here's my view of the
status quo. The key, for me, is that everyone should feel able to be
involved:

>> General governance and admin:
>>
>> - Quagga is a community project.
>>
>> - The running and development of Quagga proceeds by community consensus
>>   the intersection of what is broadly acceptable - as much as possible.
>>
>> - Everyone is welcome to participate
>>
>> - The final arbiters and stewards of Quagga are the "maintainers",
>>   currently Paul Jakma, Vincent Jardin, and Greg Troxel (who have been
>>   with Quagga for a long time) They should operate on consensus
>>   themselves.
>>
>> - The consensus is (or should be) documented in HACKING.md in the SCM.
>>   All community members are encouraged to help update and evolve this
>>   document.
>>

>> In terms of specific development processes, things have evolved and
should continue to evolve. At present it's roughly:

>> - Contributors submit a patch to the list as a 'diff' with a suitable
>>   commit message.
>>
>>   The best way to do this is to prepare a commit to a local git tree and
>>   use 'git send-email' to send it to the list.
>>
>>   As per HACKING, note the commit message is there for a number of
>>   reasons. Good commit messages make life easier for everyone
>>   ultimately.
>>
>> - Patches are tracked via 'patchwork' currently, though you may also use
>>   bugzilla (create a bugzilla bug, include the bug ID in the commit with
>>   "bug #ID", attach patch there, git-send-email it to the list too)
>>
>> - A "rounds keeper" will queue *every* patch to a set of "proposed"
>>   branches, under volatile/patch-tracking/$ROUND/proposed/...
>>
>> - At some point, a review deadline is set - of at least 2 weeks
>>   currently (if I remember correctly).
>>
>>   *Everyone* is entitled to give reviews, comments and objections to
>>   patches queued up as proposed.
>>
>> - Patches by default go in. I.e. the default is a "fast-track" for
>>   contributions.
>>
>>   Queries, objections, etc., to a (set) of patches send them off this
>>   default fast-path, to a path where the contributor and the reviewers
>>   should work together to find the acceptable patch-set. This may
>>   require different degrees of discussion and iteration of the
>>   contribution. Once there
>>
>> - The "rounds keeper" curates a branch with contributions that are ready
>>   for integration. I.e., those on the fast-track, and any others on
>>   which there is consensus. This branch is published and some kind of
>>   summary sent to the list for verification and final testing (e.g.,
>>   NetDEF do a wide range of platform and protocol conformance and
>>   regression tests, as a very useful service to the community).
>>
>> - After a review window of time has passed and everything appears in
>>   order, the rounds keeper may integrate the consensus patches to
>>   'master', and start a new round.
>>
>>   Patches still in discussion from the previous should be carried
>>   forward. Contributors should though re-submit if they feel something
>>   has been missed.
>>
>> - Repeat
>>
>> The "rounds keeper" task should be fairly objective, and my goal is to
have it regularly rotated around anyone able and willing to do it, as a
'chore'.

>> The above might not be perfect, and it may be we need to change it.
That's fine. Other projects do thinks like give 'windows' to people who
have a patch train, to integrate stuff.