On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, neit...@marshlabs.gaertner.de wrote:

Paul Jakma <p...@jakma.org> wrote:

AWK is a lot more easier to pick up from scratch or just dive into for a
C programmer - the syntax is more compact, and it's C-like. It's also
just one binary.

I agree,

So, not just me? :)

I learned perl before AWK, but when you have to go back after a while, AWK's "surface" at least can be documented in a fairly brief man page.

and rewrote the awk script ages ago to get rid of the "gensub" and make it run with stock awk, obviating the gawk dependency, too.

Ah, great. Thanks.

Alas, I cannot check it anymore because my FreeBSD-4.7 got ridiculed as hopelessly outdated and quagga stopped even making it through autohell a long time ago.

Ah, oops, where does it fail?

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      p...@jakma.org  @pjakma Key ID: 64A2FF6A