On Fri, 24 Jun 2016, Lou Berger wrote:

I personally don't recall a discussion on this on list, but perhaps missed it.

Well, we started this last year with Vincent leading by example and just getting stuck in to stuff in patchwork, reviewing it and summarising to list:

 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-June/012751.html

I brought up workflows and using git branches to track:

 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-June/012859.html

I also mentioned having some kind of technical panel / committee whatever:

 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-June/012804.html

[I have actually had that kind of discussion with various people, inc. Greg and Martin over the years, on NPOs (UK has very low overhead options here), on having technical committees with constitution docs, etc. Greg has mentioned SPI in the past. Often the feedback has been (inc. from Martin on the "Quagga Architecture Review Committee" proposal I had discussed with him over a year ago) that these things seem too formal and high-overhead for a free software project. I've actually been *persuaded* by that, and now mostly think the important thing is to just get on with the technical stuff].

After Vincent got the ball rolling:

 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-July/012966.html
 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-August/013032.html
 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-September/013172.html
 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-October/013352.html

Note that as of round-3, the incoming since that process was started (and a bit more) was dealt with. It was keeping up with what was coming in.

Donald started with rebasing Cumulus patches, take-1:

 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-November/013591.html

Take-2:

 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-November/013637.html

Take-3:

 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-November/013683.html

I pointing out I had long-standing comments on some. Also, some new ones generate a discussion, but are re-staged.

Donald starts r5:

 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-November/013952.html

Also, more versions of take-3:

https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-December/014154.htmlhttps://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-December/014154.html
 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2015-December/014221.html

I'm not blaming anyone per se - stuff goes missing sometimes, and things are harder to track when there are large backlogs - but both still have various patches with comments. The comments were either mentioned recent to above, or there was even a discussion on the list recent to that (e.g. lifting the cluster-ID check in the BGP decision process).

We had round 6, which mostly went on behind the scenes.

We had a discussion on tools in Jan, e.g. on Gerrit:

 https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2016-January/014620.html

It's worth noting that Gerrit's workflow is very much based around rebasing - for those complaining about rebasing.

A summary of the governance status and contribution proces was sent to the list in Feb:

  https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2016-February/014883.html

Updating HACKING was lagging, but there were other changes to HACKING still being discussed I think. However, the whole point is that this process should be somewhat self-documenting to contributors by way of summary emails and git branches. E.g.:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/quagga.git/refs/

or 'git fetch <quagga git remote name>' and you *see* the refs for the rounds being fetched, and you can easily examine them with 'gitk --all'.

Now, could be that still isn't clear enough, in which case, we need some other tool. So discuss that. I lean toward bugzilla as the canonical ID and place for contributors and submissions' status, with patchwork as a backend-tool to help integrators with tracking list activity.

I also don't see the process documented anywhere. Also, it's unclear how patches Ack'ed on list would end up anywhere but accepted. -- Keep in mind, my perspective is as user and contributor, not maintainer.

This "Ack'ed" stuff - where did that come from?

See above, I'd been working on a "queue it all" -> "summarise" -> sift out anything with objections basis for all the rounds I've done.

It comes down to where I should do my development, test and
submissions.  Right now there is no changes between releases except at
the last minute (or couple of weeks).  This means:

- no testing on ack'ed patches

NetDEF's CI system?

- no easy way for a user to see if an issue is addressed by the dev branch
- submitted patches are often out of date (and need rebasing) and
occasionally are duplicative

Rebasing is a fact of life. Get used to it. Be great not to have to do so, but only way to get that is to just go work on your tree and ignore everything else.

Speeding up integration cycles could reduce how often this happens. However there are some fundamental tensions here, and even with really fast, rebasing is still going to be required of people.

There are no magic ponies, sorry.

I have no idea.  I only got involved beyond the contributor level once
things broke down.

We were keeping up (notwithstanding old backlog) with r3 and r4. Donald had to get up to speed on r5 I guess. r6 was unusual - and that process will never be repeated ;). For r7 I was working with Donald to sort through his take-3 (the one with multiple patches that seem resistant to review comments) - that seemed to be going productively for a while.

Then Donald seemed to decide to take a different tack; rather than get through the review comments, he wanted to just have take-3 go in whole-sale. When I didn't agree to that, he instead agitated for this "Development is broken! Everything must change! Here's how nothing really changes, except it gives a path to get around paul's comments". He then sat on round-7, not integrating anything but a few bug fixes - which (consciously or not) seems like a way to engineer a crisis.

So, where did things break down?

How was that a useful, progressive approach to dealing with the backlog?

What about any of the 3 discussed documents leads you to conclude they
are clean-sheet documents?  I see folks that have been active for a
while contributing to each?

Did Donald mention anything about take-3 and interactions with me?

I read this as allowing for Paul's approach given his long role in the project, but doing so in a way that allows the community to change based on community consensus. I personally think a single definitive quagga release that comes out 2 or 3 times a year would be preferred, but my understanding is that you vetoed this.

I've sent you private email before on the release history of Quagga, showing that I like cutting development releases at least as often as others if not more.

Also, my approach is _not_ "yearly stable" releases. The lack of knowledge of the history of the project is amusing. Further, having two disconnected Quagga branches, with releases of each is - I strongly suspect - unworkable. It will just lead to further problems and disagreement.

I'm not tracking the drafts as closely as some, but I don't recall seeing any changes or comments in the google docs from you (or for that matter on this list).

I'm sure I set out some objections to you in private email before. At least some of which I'd given to Donald too, or at least on list I think.

Further, the entire process seemed to be about getting space from me. So, why would I participate in it?

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | p...@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: