On 7/22/2016 5:03 AM, Marco Pratesi wrote:

Most of the documents I produced are available here:
https://github.com/marco-pratesi/android/tree/master/quagga
Some other informations are available on an IEEE conference paper.

Thanks Marco! I actually came across this and read through your steps here:
https://github.com/marco-pratesi/android/blob/master/quagga/quagga-0.99.22.4/quagga-0.99.22.4-android-native_build-HOWTO.txt

You are doing a native build, which is something I could do, but it since I got binaries cross compiled that can be run on Android, I was wondering if there is away around the run-as-user issue. As I mentioned before, I did try running as root (and compiled Quagga with user root configured) but that didn't work and kept giving me the error I posted earlier. I didn't see any of your patches changing this aspect (user) so I'm wondering how did you get around this issue? What shell did you use? and what Android version ?

I have not updated these docs for a while; I am open to integrate/organize the information in a better/different way.

For what concerns the issues posted by Jafar...

Static/dynamic build: someway, I succeeded in obtaining a shared-libs build, but it just does not work; I do not remember which error is returned, but it just does not even run. Static builds worked for me and I did not investigate further, as each daemon (routing protocol) uses its own library, hence a shared build would not significantly save resources. Documents linked above explain how to obtain a static build.

Running as non-root...
Running as root works for me.
Android is not POSIX-compliant about management of users; /etc/passwd is not used; each application is run by its own user as a separate virtual machine (even the terminal emulator+shell); I suppose that the POSIX management of users and privileges is only a dream on Android, hence I suggest to accept to run Quagga as root. Maybe you can build (cross-compile) a glibc+gcc toolchain for Android (I succeeded in doing this)

Terminal IDE comes with these so I didn't have to worry about this. I didn't have to do a native build after all anyway.

and then build a POSIX-compliant environment to run Quagga as on a "normal" Unix OS, but I am not so confident that it would be really possible, and, anyway, IMHO, it is not worth the effort, unless you are only searching for fun :-)
 Will leave that kind of fun for another day! :-)

Thanks Again!
Jafar