Paul,

Imo we should leverage regression testing to identify which patches / patch sets introduce problems and either skip those or get them fixed before including them.

Set another way, for my prospective, pushing the portion of proposed 8 to master that passes Martin's regression tests is reasonable; but pushing code known to introduce problems isn't.

What about working with Martin to automatically go through the patch sets and any that pass bring into his Auto branch. Then you or the patch authors can work to resolve the problem introduced in the specific patch / patch sets. What do you think?

Lou