Hi Goodman,

vtysh will start all the daemons you have enabled previously on the
"daemons" config file.

Example:

$ cat /etc/quagga/daemons
(...)
zebra=yes
bgpd=no
ospfd=yes
ospf6d=no
ripd=yes
ripngd=no
isisd=no

when you start quagga, it will start the zebra, ospf and rip instances.

when you go for vtysh you will be able to configure rip and ospf routing
instances and also zebra confs (that are more related to generic system
configs like enable passwords, hostname, etc...)

Hope this clarify you better.