Re: I did note your suggestion, but it sounded a bit dodgey!  Plus I suspect
that I'd have a hard time finding a garage at both ends willing to let me
use their ramp in such a fashion.

I was shipping out between 4/5 cars per month using this method. We did not
have a single incident where a garage refused, providing they had the
access. We always put a bottle of wine in the car to say thank you as
usually they did not even charge for the service but wanted to do this
partially to support UK small car manufacturers but also because it was
novel and different.

We only ever had one time where the car was damaged and that was when we
were shipping a car out to Eygpt using a large French transport company
(Roland Rats Ratmobile). At the docks the lorry driver was showing off the
car to his mates. Forgot to retie the straps so when he braked hard to avoid
an accident the car bounced forward and broken an indicator lens. Otherwise
incident free!

It will be considerably cheaper and easier than any other method, but hey
it's up to you.

Simon Musgrove-Wethey
Cirencester